Sunday, July 6, 2008

From July 2, 2008

I have been teaching at the Palm Tree Orphanage for about a month and I am very pleased with the children’s progress so far. They are only eight or nine years old, and they already are able to speak, read and write in English and Khmer. I am very impressed by their diligence and dedication to learning both languages. Also, I love their enthusiasm. The children come to class early each day, ready to present their homework and start a new lesson. I have never encountered a child who was not ready to answer a question or who failed to complete the assigned work. It is evident that they value their education. This is refreshing, especially because there are so many students in America who take public school for granted. School, sometimes seen as boring to young American students, is seen as a great privilege and an honor to these Cambodian children. They realize that not every child in Cambodia has access to education, so they do their best to take advantage of the opportunity they are offered.

Yesterday, two donors, who have supported Palm Tree since its creation in 2002, visited the orphanage. From what I have heard, this couple has funded almost all of the activities and programs at Palm Tree. They are regarded very highly here. The children call them Mommy and Daddy and their photos hang in the office. When I awoke that morning, I knew it would be a very different day. As I left my room at 6:30am, all the children were cleaning the orphanage. By that, I do not mean just sweeping and picking up garbage. The children were scrubbing the windows and mopping the stairs, and making sure everything was spotless for the donors’ arrival. We were scheduled to pick them up at the airport at 5:00pm. I figured a few children would come with us, as is usual procedure when a volunteer arrives. Imagine my shock when I saw one hundred kids pile into a school bus equipped for fifty! They all managed to fit, as they all urgently wanted to greet the donors as soon as possible. Each of the children wore a new outfit, without the stains and tears that accompany their everyday clothes.

When the donors emerged from the airport, they were greeted by all of the children, who hugged and kissed them. It was really amazing to watch. There was such an outpouring of emotion from these children, who clearly appreciate everything that these donors have provided to them. I thought back to my work at Echoing Green, and how I had helped to brainstorm ways to generate donations. It is hard to pinpoint a good way to thank a donor to ensure that they will continue to give money in the future. But imagine if every donor to a non profit could be thanked in such a way as the Palm Tree donors were yesterday at the airport? Not only are you shown appreciation directly from the people you are helping, but you see the results. They can see how happy and healthy these children are and it shows that their money is going to a good cause.

Upon returning to the orphanage, the children put on a small concert of traditional Khmer songs. Then, we all had dinner. We had roasted chicken and bread, which I enjoyed very much, especially after weeks of egg and rice. After dinner, we danced! I learned a few Khmer dances, including one that looked very similar to the Electric Slide. We also danced to Khmer versions of American rap songs, which was as fun as it was amusing. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to talk to the donors. I knew that I probably would not be able to get a chance to interact with them much, as they are here to spend time with the children. However, I would love to know what inspired their philanthropy and what kind of business they operate that they can be so generous.

No comments: